Tuesday 20 December 2011

You will always have the Poor among you

Leviticus 25:35-38  35  If any of your fellow Israelites become poor and are unable to support themselves among you, help them as you would a foreigner and stranger, so they can continue to live among you.
36  Do not take interest or any profit from them, but fear your God, so that they may continue to live among you.
37  You must not lend them money at interest or sell them food at a profit.
38  I am the LORD your God, who brought you out of Egypt to give you the land of Canaan and to be your God.
It’s clear from today’s passage that God wants us to care for the poor among us and to treat them with compassion, not to take advantage of them.  From my time of living in New York, I can say that not all the poor I met made me muster up compassion.  Some were angry or belligerent.  Others threw dirty water on my car windshield and expect money for their “services.”  Some may smell or be mentally impaired, such as the homeless people I had met before.  Despite my experiences, God wants me to love everyone, even those whom I find repulsive.
Later on in the day, I was opening my mail, filled with numerous letters from charities at this Christmas time of the year.  I don’t know how you feel, but I get a little weary at all the charities asking for money.  It’s not that I don’t give, for I do, but it seems like it’s never enough.  It’s like filling water in a bucket with holes.  Then the letter from Covenant House (shelter for homeless children/teens in New York) jumped out at me.  I was not planning to give to them since my “to give” list was already set, but the LORD reminded me about my devotions this morning-to have mercy on the poor.  Tears welled up in my eyes, and I knew God was moving me to help these kids.  Then He reminded me of this Bible verse, “You will always have the poor among you, but you will not always have Me.”  John 12:8.  God touched my heart and renewed my spirit.  LORD God, fill me with Your love and compassion.  Help me to give joyfully and gratefully by Your grace.  In Jesus’ name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment