Thursday 24 October 2013

God’s wisdom, not mine

1 Corinthians 2:1-5, 3:12-13        
1         …When I came to you, I did not come with eloquence or human wisdom, as I proclaimed to you the testimony about God.
2         For I resolved to know nothing while I was with you except Jesus Christ and Him crucified.
3         I came to you in weakness with great fear and trembling.
4         My message and my preaching were not with wise and persuasive words, but with a demonstration of the Spirit’s power,
5         So that your faith might not rest on human wisdom, but on God’s power.

Thank you for praying for me and Pastor Tim while we were in Malaysia and South Korea on our personal missions trip.  Indeed, it’s not by our own power or ability that we can minister God’s truth and love to others, but it’s God’s power residing in us.  One of my more memorable experiences was visiting a leprosy hospital in Malaysia and having a chance to do personal evangelism there.   Many of the men were only half dressed, and almost all were missing a foot, leg, or other body parts.  I was so reluctant to go inside the male patient ward, but the female evangelist who brought us there and my husband marched in without hesitation and started talking to the patients.  I decided to stand by the entrance and take pictures.  God saw my weak faith and moved a little old man in a wheelchair to come right up to me, talked to me, and invited me in.  I told him truthfully that if he didn’t invite me, I would not have gone inside.  We struck up a conversation, and I felt during the course of our conversation that God was telling me that this leper was very lonely.  Almost all the lepers were outcasts in their families due to the stigma of their illness, but one of the Chinese churches there visits them every week.  (How’s that for local evangelism?!)  Even though this leper did not believe the Bible is true, I told him that if he feels lonely, he can always talk to God.  When human relationships fail, he can reach out for God.  I asked to take a picture of him so that I can pray for him when I get back home.  Incidentally, my husband ended up leading the male patient he was conversing with to Christ!

How about you?  We cannot serve on our own strength, nor in our own timetable, and definitely not in our own past experiences or education.  Faith is not exercised in doing the things we’re good at or comfortable in (v.4-5), but faith gets stronger when we obey God in the things that test us and make us uncomfortable.  The longer I walk on this journey with Christ, the more I realize that God wants me to say “yes” to Him on harder, faith-stretching tasks and experiences.  If I had refused the leper’s invitation, I would have missed out on a memorable experience to bear testimony for God.  Even though it made me very uncomfortable, I’m glad I obeyed God.


Lastly, I’d like to leave you with this thought.  In the end, all of us will have to answer to God for how we live our lives and how we serve Him.  “If any man builds on this foundation [Jesus Christ] using gold, silver, costly stones, wood, hay or straw, his work will be shown for what it is, because the Day will bring it to light.  It will be revealed with fire, and the fire will test the quality of each man’s work.”  (1 Cor 3:12-13)

No comments:

Post a Comment