Wednesday 18 January 2012

the Classic Battle

Romans 7:13-25 
13  Did that which is good, then, become death to me?  By no means!  Nevertheless, in order that sin might be recognized as sin, it used what is good to bring about my death, so that through the commandment sin night become utterly sinful.
14  We know that the law is spiritual; but I am unspiritual, sold as a slave to sin.
15  I do not understand what I do.  For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
16  And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good.
17  As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me.
18  For I know that good itself does not dwell in me, that is, in my sinful nature.  For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out.
22 For in my inner being I delight in God’s law;
23 but I see another law at work in me, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within me.
24  What a wretched man I am!  Who will rescue me from this body that is subject to death?
25  Thanks be to God, who delivers me through Jesus Christ our Lord!...
It’s a classic battle, even immortalized in classic Disney cartoons—the battle between good and evil inside all of us.  Even though I’ve been steeped in Christianity for most of my life, I’ll readily admit that I continue to struggle to do what God wants me to do vs doing what I want to do (eat, sleep, spend too much time on the internet, etc).  Every day, it’s a war, choosing the way of discipleship.  I want to serve, evangelize, get up early to pray, read the Bible, help the poor and homeless, etc, but the spirit of fear and timidity (2 Timothy 1:7) within me keeps me away from doing these good things.  The sin nature chooses man’s praise and fame, but the Spirit chooses humility.  The sin nature puffs up the sinful man, but the spiritual man seeks the narrow way (Matthew 7:13-14).  Only the overflowing power of the Holy Spirit can overcome my fear and pride.
Lord, help me not to succumb to my sinful nature, but fill me with more of You every day. In Jesus’ name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment