Tuesday 3 January 2012

Peace and Prosperity

Romans 1:18-25
18  The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of people, who suppress the truth by their wickedness.
25  They exchanged the truth about God for a lie, and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator—who is forever praised.  Amen.
How is the wrath of God revealed in our society today?  I don’t think I’m that old, but I do remember a time in my childhood when almost everything was peaceful and prosperous in America:
 Elections were calm and predictable, not like the circus we’re having right now.
 Unemployment was down.
 Property value was up.
 Schools did not need metal detectors or policemen.
 We were not at war with anyone.
I also remembered an older Chinese Christian lady who had worked her way up from serving as a waitress to climbing the corporate ladder in a successful career to enjoying a comfortable retirement now.  Several years ago, when we were discussing about the sad state of our country, she recalled back in her era when the interest in her bank accounts hovered around 15% (not 1% like it is today) and customers showered her with generous tips that were almost equal to the price of the meals themselves!  She had lived through a peaceful and prosperous America.  I could not forget her next words: “America is falling apart.”  Though I am an immigrant in this country, here was where I found my faith in God.  If I had remained in my birthplace Taiwan, I doubt that I would become a Christian.  But that was God’s blessing to me when America was more ”Christianized.”  I had written a song some time ago based on Hosea 14:1-2 that’s the prayer of my heart:
Turn back, O Israel, from your idols.
Turn back, O Israel, to the Lord your God.
Turn back, O church, from your sins.
Turn back, O church, to the Lord your God.
Turn back, O America, to your faith.
Turn back, O America, God loves you.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Linda, This really spoke to me today. ...Kim =)

    ReplyDelete